Saturday, May 12, 2007

Packing

So I finally bit the bullet and started packing today. I bought big Rubbermaid-type bins to use instead of cardboard boxes. It's an expensive alternative, but cardboard boxes are a great place for bugs to hide and I didn't want to take any chances. I'm thinking I can sell whatever ones I don't want after the move.

I was all psyched up to start earlier today, but then I became overwhelmed with how much there is to do and the tough decisions I have to make about what furniture is safe to keep and what is too risky and needs to be thrown out. It's really difficult to decide. I'm thinking the dresser is too risky because it's next to the bed, which was the main area of bedbug infestation. But I'm considering taking the bookcase because it's in the living room. Realistically, though, there's only a foot between them as they're on opposite sides of the same wall. So what makes one okay, but not the other? When you live in a 400ish square foot apartment does it really make sense to try to decide the fate of furniture based on what room it's in? The thing is, my furniture is less than a year old and it's very hard to think of throwing it out and having to replace it. On the other hand I'm desperate to ensure that I don't bring any bugs with me. This is also complicated by the fact that I haven't noticed any bedbugs or bedbug bites for about two months now so maybe they're all dead/gone.

Thanks to Jenn I was able to break free from my paralysis and at least start packing the things I knew for sure I was going to take. Thanks, Jenn! I guess I have about two weeks to mull over the furniture. I'd love any opinions others may have about what to do with it.

1 comment:

jenn said...

I'm glad I could help out a bit, sweetie! As for the stuff - if you feel it is okay, go for it. I think the living room wood stuff especially! The cloth is the real danger, based on what you said. And all in all, you are moving and that is the biggest change needed.