Well, I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath for an update on the roommate situation, so here it is. It's all bad, very, very bad bad bad ... you get the picture. So it went down like this: #2 and I decided to move out so we started looking for a new place while #1 was away for the weekend. We found a place we really, really liked and saw a whole lot of places that made our skin crawl. By Wednesday we decided that we would apply for the good place for June 1st and tell #1 about our plans that evening, as she had returned home the previous day.
We went for a beer before the meeting to try and calm ourselves a bit. I had to do all the talking because I seemed to be the calmest speaker. #1 was actually fine with it at first because she had decided that she was going to move out too. Unfortunately, she had decided to move out at the beginning of July. Turns out you have to give two months notice in Ontario. Who knew? Not I obviously. So then she was really angry because she was going to have to pay for June's rent on her own and she said that we had to give two months notice. I pointed out that we weren't on the lease and hadn't signed anything and that the landlady didn't even know who we were, but she wouldn't accept that we didn't have to give two months notice until she phoned and found out for herself. Anyways, she accused us of plotting against her and trying to screw her over and assumed that we'd been planning this for months and not mentioned anything. Can you say paranoid? So we decided to go out for another beer. We left to the sounds of #1 yelling at us.
I hope that our application gets accepted to our new place, but I don't think it will. I just don't look like a good bet on paper right now. I need to get a job. I think if it doesn't go through we might just agree to stay until July 1st to smooth things over a bit. #1 will be away for the month of June anyway. I don't think #2 is to keen on that idea, but despite #1's obvious insanity, I would never intentionally give short notice.
Well, that's all for now, except that I'm catching a cold because of all this stress. On the bright side, I have a date tonight. At least I'll be out of the house.
Friday, April 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry to read that your living situation is so nutty. #1 sounds very unpleasant and I can totally understand why neither you or #2 want to live with her any longer. I thought I had a couple of strange roommates at UBC, but mine pale in comparison to #1. I hope your application for the new place goes through. Good luck on your date, I hope you have a good time besides just getting out of the house.
Love Tara
my god, I can't believe you have to give two months notice - that is totally insane. And whatever, you guys aren't on the lease and you weren't doing it to be mean. You're doing it because she's a rage-monster. Regardless, she is only pissed because you beat her to it. I mean, she was planning on giving notice too. Couldn't you claim that she was ganging up (her and the cats) on you! YEAH! [/righteous anger]
Hee, anyhoo. Any thought of you two keeping that place if she's leaving?
Thanks for your support ladies. I appreciate it. Life in the house is still pretty tense. Nobody wants to be here now.
There is the possibility of Amber and I staying on when Carla leaves, but we were kind of wanting a fresh start. I think this place may be forever tainted by bad vibes now. But, maybe we could just paint and redecorate instead of moving. Who knows? If we did stay it would make Carla a lot happier because she wouldn't have to cover the last month's rent on her own.
It doesn't seem like we're going to get the place we wanted anyway. The lady's had our applications since Thursday and hasn't called us. Very sad, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Laura
xoxo
Post a Comment